Here’s an idea to change the way you look at salads – it’s nutritious and satisfying too.
* If preparing for someone who eats halal, check they are happy to eat balsamic vinegar.
Time to prepare: 15 mins
Time to cook: 15 mins
Dietary requirements: Halal, Vegan (with substitutions)
- Two of your favourite veggie burgers
- A handful of unsalted cashew nuts
- Half an avocado
- 1 small carrot
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- A generous handful of mixed green salad leaves
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- To make the dressing, put the ingredients into a screw-top jar, shake well and then set aside in the fridge while you make the salad.
- Cook the burgers in your favourite way (oven-bake, grill, fry or barbecue!) and chop into bite-sized pieces. You can assemble the salad while they are still warm or wait until they have cooled.
- Chop the cashews roughly.
- Peel and chop the avocado half.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and grate it.
- Give the salad dressing another shake and toss all the salad ingredients together. Serve immediately.